This taxonomy represents all part of speech categories and sub-categories in Afrikaans, together with examples for each (sub-)category. The categorisation is based on the morphosyntactic features of a word, and not on semantics.
- Click on image to view it in more detail. You can then also right-click on image to download it in high resolution.
- The English version is available here as SVG (for best results, right click on link and open in new tab/window).
- An Afrikaans version is available here as PNG and here as SVG.
- Please reference this image as:
Van Huyssteen, Gerhard B. 2020. Part-of-speech categories. Version 1.2. Taalportaal. Available: https://taalportaal.org/taalportaal/topic/pid/topic-20200506074902722.
- Please send comments or suggestions to me via the Contact Me page.
- This taxonomy is the result of many years of discussions between me and Suléne Pilon; although we still disagree on aspects of the image (will two people ever agree on a full taxonomy of part-of-speech categories?), the intellectual property of this taxonomy is as much hers as mine.
- Over many years, but especially also in recent times, I have had many conversations with students and colleagues about these categories. I’m in debt to all of them, but specifically (alphabetically): Adri Breed, Johanita Kirsten, and Bertus van Rooy.
- All errors and fallacies remain mine.